The NYS Excelsior Scholarship offers tuition grants to qualified students attending public colleges and institutions in New York State.
About NYS Excelsior Scholarship
The goal of the Excelsior Scholarship Program is to support on-time graduation, lower student debt, and assist middle-class families in paying for college.
After all grants and scholarships have been applied, the Excelsior Scholarship covers any outstanding tuition costs.
The Excelsior Scholarship enables students to enroll in a SUNY or CUNY college for free when combined with other student financial aid programs.
The program pays the tuition for SUNY and CUNY students who qualify. Families who made $125,000 or less in the tax year 2020 are eligible to apply for the 2022–23 academic year.
- Be a resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Have either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test.
- Be pursuing an undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY college,
- Be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits each year
- Be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award;
How to Apply
Visit the official website of the scholarship to fill the application form. If you are already a recipient of an Excelsior Scholarship from a previous application period, you do not need to complete this application.
Students that cannot complete their degree in eight semesters may lose eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship in their eighth semester. Do well to share this information.