The Horatio Alger Scholarship is given to deserving young people from low-income households, enabling them to pursue their academic aspirations.
About Horatio Alger Scholarship
The Horatio Alger Scholarship Program was established in 1984 and has since given out $180 million in scholarships, making it one of the biggest need-based college scholarship programs in the United States.
The Horatio Alger Scholarship Program awarded $21 million to 2,500 students who shown bravery, honesty, and fortitude in the face of challenges and financial hardship in 2019 alone.
The Horatio Alger Scholarship helps over 5,000 students who are low-income and are enrolled in over 900 universities, making a significant difference in their lives.
The Horatio Alger Scholarship now recognizes students who best represent the traits of Alger’s heroes and helps them realize their aspirations regardless of their circumstances.
- Enrolled as a full-time high school senior in the US and progressing normally toward graduation with plans to enter college in the US no later than the fall following graduation
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing and completing a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the US
- Exhibit a critical financial need—$55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required
- Involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Possess United States citizenship
How to Apply
The Horatio Alger Scholarship application is free. The deadline for uploading all required documentation to your online application is 5 p.m Eastern Time on the last day of the application period, which spans from August 1 to October 25.
Students who submit an application for the Horatio Alger Scholarship are given consideration for the assortment of scholarships the organization offers. Kindly share this article and leave a comment below.